Friday, October 3, 2014

Quarterly Reading

I've been meaning to get back into the blogging game for the past couple of months and thought there would be no perfect time than now, with a quarterly reading update and link up. Here we go, a list of all the books I've read in July, August, and September
Link Round Up



  • Days of Blood and Starlight/Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor: I listened to the audio version of all the books in this series. The narrator is extremely good. Not to mention the series is great as well. I like to listen to audiobooks while I am cleaning and I would make up things to clean while listening to these. My house has never been cleaner!
  •  I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella: Another fun book from Sophie Kinsella. A book about a lovable but hopeless woman who falls in love and tries to sort out her life.
  • City of Bones by Cassandra Clare: The narrator for this audio book is absolutely terrible. The voices for her characters are extremely annoying, especially for the males. The story itself is fun, and it had to have been to get me through such an awful audio book. If you want to read this, do yourself a favor and READ it. No audio for this one.
  • The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot: If you’ve watched the movie then you know what to expect with this book. They changed the story a little bit for the silver screen, but I enjoyed reading it.
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein: I loved this book. It had me balling at the end. I even recommended it to my husband, which is the true test for any book. He liked it as well.
  • The Midnight Witch by Paula Brackston: I read this book while I was visiting my family up in Canada. I had run out of reading material and my Mum had this on her kindle. It was a good summer read, but nothing I would recommend.
  • The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton: I really liked the jumping from present day to WWII England. The story was interesting and kept me wondering how it was going to end. I highly recommend this book.
  • Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede: Great book for younger girls. The heroine is not your typical girl and I would love Summer to read this book (and series) one day.
  • The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Von Trapp: I loved all the little stories about her learning English. I even laughed out loud at a few of them. The family’s faith and continual trust in God was really inspiring. Really great read.
  • The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale: Another great read for any age. I love books with a heroine without the love story being the only story.
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: I honestly don’t know how I feel about this book. It was just okay. But it was also a quick read, so read it for yourself and decide how you feel!
  • Enna Burning by Shannon Hale: This was the sequel to The Goose Girl. I didn’t enjoy it as much as Goose Girl but it was still good.
  • Austenland by Shannon Hale: This book was kind of silly, but I’ll admit I liked it. It also made me want to go on a vacation to Austenland. Is it a real place?
  • City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare: In my opinion, City of Ashes is the best book in the Mortal Instruments series. I give this book a solid 4 stars for anyone interested in the YA Urban Fantasy genre.
  • Attachments by Rainbow Rowell: The premise of this book (boy falls in love with girl who's email he reads as his job) was interesting and funny. Although it could be considered creepy, it was actually sweet.  
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain: I know it’s hard to believe, but this was my first Mark Twain. I totally understand now why this is a classic and Mark Twain is considered such a great writer.
  • Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson: Probably my favorite read from the last 3 months. I love it when someone comes up with a totally new idea for fantasy. I’m excited to read the rest in this series.
  • The rest of the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare: After the third book I didn’t really want to go on with this series, but I did and I’ll admit I enjoyed most of the books. Although it did feel a little young for me. I think a 16 year old Mindy would have devoured these books.
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant #3) by Derek Landy: Another great audio book series. I listened to the first two earlier this summer, but I think #3 is the best one. Rupert Degas is a great narrator. I know a series about a Skeleton Detective sounds a bit weird, but I really love these books. A great read for the entire family.
  • The Girl You Left Behind by JoJo Moyes: This is my second JoJo Moyes book and I think I’m converted.
  • Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter: This book just had too many characters and stories without enough time to develop any of them properly. Not a bad book, but it could have been better.


1 comment:

  1. Those Skulduggery books ARE the best audio. My husband and I still talk about them!

    ReplyDelete