Thursday, October 3, 2013

Melissa's Roasted Veggie Kale Pasta Sauce


My sister was raving about this pasta sauce she came up with. I had her type up the recipe so I could share it with all of you. Enjoy.

Hey everyone I just thought I would share with you how great my dinner was tonight! My son is a very picky eater and so I have been trying to come up with foods that are jammed packed with what he needs to be heathy because I am lucky to get 6 spoonfuls in my boy. Sometimes it's even nothing! So I made him a homemade spaghetti sauce with kale in it and a bunch of other veggies. Both my son and my husband (who is also a bit picky) liked this alot. It was a hit in our house.

Melissa's Roasted Veggie Pasta Sauce

Ingredients:
About 3 1/2-4lbs of tomatoes (I used Roma tomatoes and tomatoes out of my greenhouse)
4 garlic cloves peeled
2 small onions (I used yellow onions out of my garden)
1 large red or orange pepper
I also used 2 small green peppers from my green house
1 medium sized zucchini
1 packed tbsp fresh oregano
1 tsp salt
 1 tsp sugar
3 packed cups of kale
1 lb of cooked hamburger
2 cans of tomato paste (try one first and go by your taste)
about 2 cups shredded parmesan 

Directions:
Drizzle olive oil all over a large cookie sheet. Quarter the tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers, and zucchini and spread it all over the pan. Drizzle more olive oil over top of everything and top with pepper. Put it in an oven at 450 degrees for around 35-45 minutes. All the veggies will look soft and have blistered skins.

Take the veggies out of the oven and wait until they are cool enough to handle. Peel the skin off the tomatoes and put everything in the food processor and blend it up really well. Add the kale and oregano. If you are unsure about the taste of kale just add one cup at a time and taste it in between. 

Put it all in a large pot, add the salt, sugar, tomato paste, and cooked hamburger. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. 

Serve over pasta and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment